Skip to main content

Figs and . . .



I hate to admit it, but I will.

I'm not really sure when I realized that "fig" was an actually fruit,

and should be said, "a fig . . ."

Rather, I grew up thinking "fig" was part of a cookie name,

as in "fig newton."

Now, before you rush to judgment, I'm not hating on fig newton cookies.

I grew up where these cookies were kept in the cabinets.

Honestly, I don't remember packages of Chips Ahoy, Peppridge Farm, or even Oreos.

I remember fig newton cookies.

So I like them.

Which made me think, I must like figs.

Because after all, it's in the cookie; right?

Since those early days, I have come to learn that figs are a fruit.

A fruit I have never bought.

Until today.

While grocery shopping, I saw some black mission figs and bought several.

Having no idea what to do with them, I came home and learned.

Thank goodness for google and youtube!

I learned how to know when a fig is ripe,

when a fig is in season,

and that all of a fig is edible, except for the stem.

That made fig preparation easy!

I washed three small figs,

quartered them,

and topped my homemade greek yogurt with the fruit, some chopped pecans and a drizzle of honey.

I will say,

I was pleasantly surprised.

While it doesn't taste like a fig newton,

and might I add, I'm kind of thankful for that,

it is sweet, lightly flavored, and the seeds give a unique texture.

I have a few figs left, so I will be looking for an additional recipe to try.

But I do know that I will certainly not be afraid to purchase more figs!

You might be surprised yourself!

Why don't you give figs a try!

Comments