Skip to main content

Apple Crisp


This is one of those desserts that honestly,

I remember my mom making when I was a little kid.

I also remember not being especially found of it.

Not for any particular reason.

But fast-forward a few years. . .

ok, a lot . . .

and now I like apple crisps.

This dessert, though, often gets overlooked.

I don't know if it is because it's too "simple."

Too "homey."

Doesn't "present well."

And while all of those might be true,

the truth is, apple crisp is a great option to offer your family and friends!

Most of the time, you have the ingredients to make the dessert.

It's easy enough you can throw it together,

and what's even better . . .it's homemade!

Like -- who doesn't like THAT!

In a time when homemade is a forgotten language,

this dessert is sure to please!

You know me, what I love about this is the flexibility!

Add in some pecans, if you wish.

Or maybe some raisins or cranberries.

Top with some whipped cream,

or better yet, vanilla-cinnamon ice cream.

This crisp makes a lot of syrup-y goodness as it bakes,

so you could top a warm waffle with this little dessert too!

If your kiddos like to help in the kitchen,

this is a great recipe to make together, too!

Apple Crisp

5-6 apples, cleaned, cored, and sliced*
1 cup packed brown sugar, divided
1/2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. lemon juice
1/4 cup water (or apple juice)
3/4 cup flour (I use gluten free flour without any compromise of flavor)
6 TBSP butter, melted

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Spray an 8X8 pan or a 2 qt. baking dish with cooking spray.

In a large bowl, add the sliced apples, 1/2 cup brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, lemon juice, and water.  Toss to coat and pour into the prepared baking dish.

In a small bowl, with the melted butter, add the 1/2 cup of brown sugar and flour and mix together until well combined.  This will look like "wet sand."

Drop the crumb mixture on top of the apples to cover.

Bake for 40 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.  Can be served warm or room temperature.

*Use your favorite apple.  I prefer granny smith but any firm apple will work in this recipe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi