Skip to main content

Oatmeal Jam Bars








Oh my, it's been awhile!


One might think that I have forgotten to feed the Mr. and the Cherubs!

While I haven't forgotten, I certainly haven't had the time to cook as I normally do.

I'm currently getting to do what I also love . . . and that's fulfill a long-term subbing position.

It is extremely rewarding.

However, when I do these, I have to put something to the back-burner.

Like cooking . . .

and other household work.

For example:  it's mid-March and I just took down my Winter decor.

Notice I didn't say, "Christmas."

"Christmas" -- as in tree, Santa, and presents, went away in January.

"Winter," on the other had -- as in snowmen, evergreen, and pine cones stay through . . .

well . . .Winter!

Thankfully, Spring decor doesn't take nearly as long to put out!

Unless you are like me and you re-do the look.

I really try not to do that, because it doesn't come natural or easy for me.

Take my mom . . .she's a whiz at that kind of stuff.

She can't cook -- but she can decorate.

Me . . . I can cook, but I can't decorate.

Pair us together and we can do a smash-up job!

Speaking of cooking, these oatmeal jam bars are delish!

Once I found the recipe, I've put it in a very special "make again" file!

Warning:  they're great as dessert.  They're great as breakfast.  They're great as a snack.

Summary:  they won't last long!

I make them gluten-free, but I'm thinking as easy as they are, you could use regular flour in place of the gluten free.

But I wouldn't know that!  If you try, let me know!

Oatmeal Jam Bars

1 1/3 cups gluten free flour
1/3 cup sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. xanthan gum (leave this out if you don't make it gluten free)
1/2 cup of butter, softened, cubed
2 TBSP packed brown sugar
1/3 cup nuts, chopped fine
1/4 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2-3/4 cup preserves**

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Using an 8x8 pan, line the pan with foil so that the edges hang over the pan.  This will allow you to remove the bars easily.

Using a mixer, blend the flour, 1/3 cup sugar, salt and xanthan gum together.  Add the butter, a bit at a time, mixing until a dough forms and pulls away from the sides of the bowl.

Reserve 1/2 cup of dough.

Press the remaining dough in the pan, gently smooshing it evenly on the bottom of the pan.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until beginning to turn brown on the edges.

While that is baking, take the reserved dough, add the brown sugar, chopped nuts and oats together.  Use your fingers or two forks to work it together to make crumb topping.

Once the crust is beginning to brown, remove from the oven and top with the preserves.  Gently spread the preserves evenly over the crust.

Top with the crumb topping.

Return to the oven and bake for 22-25 minutes.

Let the bars cool completely in the pan before cutting.

This will be a temptation . . .because you are going to want to try it!

But wait!  It's worth the wait!

** I have used Bonne Maman preserves.  It looks like this below.  You can find it at almost any place you buy groceries.

 Image result for bonnie preserves

I've also make my own strawberry topping, as in for ice cream, and I have used that as my preserves.  There is nothing wrong with either!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi