Skip to main content

Art and Science

By the looks of it, you might think it's been a slow month at our house!

Truthfully, though, it's been kinda busy.

Just this month, we have spent a week in the mountains, prepared for the start of school, and I've gotten to share with a group of ladies about meal preparation.

That's why I decided to write today.

Because of my time with the moms.

It got me thinking.

One of the things I did at the cooking class was show how to prepare five meals with five pounds of ground beef.

Easy enough.

But there was really more to it than that.

The "more to it" was this:

  • eating at home is cheaper than eating out.
  • cooking at home tastes better than eating out.
  • cooking takes a little bit of prep, but it's worth the effort
  • eating dinner together, as a family, is more than the meal; it's about sharing together 
 For some, cooking is intimidating.

But I've shared this thought with so many . . .and I shared it with the moms at the cooking class.

The thought:  "cooking is an art, baking is a science."

So, why do I say that?

Because art is open to interpretation and interest.

And if cooking is an art . . .than it is open for your own personal touch!

Baking is a science; the outcome is dependent on balance of ingredients so that a correct reaction can occur and result is a delicious masterpiece. 

But cooking . . .cooking is an art; what one person likes, another may not.

In baking, you cannot change the equilibrium of wet and dry ingredients and end up with a pleasing product.

But cooking!  You can change whatever you want . . .

you can add,

you can delete,

and you can substitute,

and you're going to be ok!

I can think of some of the bests cooks I know.

They all share a common characteristic.

And that is they went by taste, sight, and smell.

I remember my grandma, when she was going to teach me to cook, she'd say,

"stand right here and watch."

"You do a little of this . . .or you can do that."

"That looks about right."

"See how that feels?  That's what you're looking for."

  . . .and that's how you cook!

Yes, recipes are great.

Recipes give us a starting point.

But after you've cooking awhile, look at the recipe and see where you'd want to change it.

Not because it needs changing . . .

but because you're an artist!
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial