We love Mexican food.
There are so many dishes that I'd love to learn to make.
But when we're hungry -- that's not necessarily the time to try something new!
Tonight was a Mexican kind of night.
I'm not sure what constitutes a "Mexican kind of night" but I'm certain that's what was happening around our house.
Here's a quick throw together that I made.
It's my own recipe and it's as adjustable as you want it to be!
Creamy Chicken and Black Bean Quesadillas
4 oz cream cheese, softened
1/3 cup green salsa
1/2 of an onion, chopped
grilled chicken, chopped
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 small can green chilies, drained
1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
tortillas (for gluten free, use corn tortillas)
Put everything except the tortillas in a bowl and stir until well incorporated. Taste it -- do you like it? Make any adjustments at this point. You may want more salsa or throw in some cumin or chili powder.
Smear some of the delicious mess on a tortilla. Fold in half and place in a warm pan that has a smidge of butter and olive oil in it. Heat until tortilla is golden on the outside and warm and gooey on the inside.
Cut into cute triangles and serve with sour cream and salsa.
The only thing that's a "must" is the cream cheese. That's your binder. You can use a little more or a little less. All depending on your taste!
- don't have/or like green salsa. Use red -- or substitute an enchilada sauce. You don't need a ton, just enough to make it "wet."
- no left-over grilled chicken. No problem. Use cooked ground beef or go vegetarian.
- No black beans -- use pinto. Be wild and leave them out!
- Throw in some frozen corn or well drained canned corn too.
- No cheese. That's ok -- it's not a must. You can also substitute Monterey Jack, Pepper Jack, or even Mozzarella in a pinch.