Skip to main content

Pine Cone Cheese Ball

Image from the internet

It's not often that the Mr. cooks at our house.

The Mr.'s job in the kitchen is "helper."

As in:
  • help clean the dishes as we go
  • help get out the things I need
  • help put things in the oven
  • help take things out of the oven
 . . .you get the idea!

It's not that the Mr. can't cook . . .

it's just that most of what he cooks isn't the tastiest!

In all fairness, there are four things the Mr. does very well in the kitchen
  1. breakfast
  2. coffee
  3. grilling
  4. helping
When we were in college, he was proud of pasta noodles with "flaked" tuna.

As in, he'd cook plain 'ol spaghetti, drain it.

Open a can of tuna and drain it (see the common thread here?)

Put the noodles in a bowl and "flake" the tuna onto the noodles.

Toss and serve.

Seriously.

That's what I ate at his apartment one night.

I'm not sure that he ever cooked for me again!

But at the holiday time, the Mr. would make this.

For a college boy, this was very fancy!

I remember it tasting good.

But remember what I had to compare it too!

We found the recipe the other night and I've whipped it up to serve with crackers on Thursday.

We'll see if it really is good or if I was just so in love I didn't know any better!  (Wink, Wink!)

However, I didn't ever eat the tuna and noodle mess again . . . so at some point I was in my right mind!

Pine Cone Cheese Ball

1 8oz package cream cheese
1/2 cup mayonnaise
3 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
1/2 tsp. dried dill
1 TBSP chopped green onion
salt and pepper to taste
1 1/4 cups whole roasted almonds
rosemary for garnish

Combine cream cheese and mayonnaise; mix until  well blended.  Add the bacon, dill, and onion.  Season with salt and pepper to taste.  Cover and chill for an hour.

Form chilled mixture into a pine cone shape.  Starting at the bottom, press almonds into the cheese mixture at a slight angles, forming overlapping rows to resemble a pine cone.  Insert rosemary sprigs at the wide end and cover loosely until ready to serve.

Serve with assorted crackers and crudites.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi