Skip to main content

Laundry Soap

I'm sure you've heard all about making your own laundry soap.

It's a novelty.

Well, a novelty these days!

Normally you think of tree-hugging, nut-eating, broom-stick skirt wearing, Birkenstock shoe wearing people as the only ones who would be interested in such.

Not that trees, nuts, broom stick skirts and Birkenstock shoes are bad .  . . but sometimes when they're all put together; well, you know!

Back to the laundry soap making . . .

it's kind of coming back in style to be "in control" of things!
That's probably because the things we need to be in control of  we aren't, so we're choosing random things to "take control of" so that we feel better about being out of control.

Wow!

I think that might be a deep thought to contemplate!

Do I hear rhythmic snapping and "cool man" in the background?

I have been making  my own laundry soap for several months now.

It is cheaper.

But I'm not so sure that it's a huge savings that I'm really able to see in my pocket book.

I've been making it for two; count them . . .two reasons!

  1. The homemade stuff really does clean.  Truth!  My first try out was on stained baseball uniforms . . . and it got the dirt out; untreated!  Now, for true confession:  I still pre-treat because you know my laundry neurosis and I can't stand baseball pants to not be stark white.
  2. It's not hard to do!  I was already adding some of these ingredients to my pre-made, store-bought laundry detergent to "boost" it's power -- so I decided since I'm adding it, why don't I just make my own with it in it.  Made sense to me!
There you go . . .that's my reasons!

Once I got my big batch made, I just bought the ingredients for one batch to have on hand.  When I use about half of my detergent, I add to it with the ingredients I have on hand, then I resupply my stash and it works like clockwork.

Homemade Laundry Soap


1 box Borax


1 box Washing Soda


1-2 bars Zote, grated


1 bar Fels-Naptha, grated

In a large container (I actually line a bathroom trashcan with a trash bag pour the ingredients into it so that I can tie it shut and shake it up to mix it around before pouring it into my box).  Pour the borax and washing soda together and stir around.  Add the grated bars and begin to mix (or shake).  Pour into storage container.

Use 2 TBSP to 4 TBSP per load, depending on size and amount of soil.

You can add essential oil to the wash water when adding the detergent, if you prefer. 

Also, this laundry soap does not make suds, as you might expect, but do not let that scare you.  It's really cleaning!

**HINT:  to grate the bars, I warm them in the microwave for about 15-20 seconds to soften just a bit before grating.  I also grate on the large and small hole side of the grater as well as the "slicer" because I like some larger pieces of soap in my mix.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi