Skip to main content

"Hosaf" (Dried Fruit Compote)



I've made reference to our trip last Summer to different European countries.

My prized souvenirs are cookbooks from each country.

I'm not sure, of the 4 cookbooks, which is my favorite, but I surely enjoy the one I purchased while in Greece.

I'll tell the quick story:

We were in an open air market in Greece, searching through antiques and junk.

Along the perimeter of where we were shopping were business.

In typical European fashion, outside one of the restaurants was a young man leaning against the doorframe, as if to summon customers into his restaurant.

When he heard our English, he asked where we were from, as he had studied in the States when he was in school.

That question led to a great conversation and he invited us into the restaurant which he and his mother owned. 

We sampled all sorts of incredible foods that afternoon and when I told him that I would love to have a cookbook because of the great experience we had just had, he showed me the cookbook that his mother had completed; both in Greek and English!

If you're ever in Athens, try Café Avissinia where Ketty and Nikolas are serving incredible Mediterranean food!

This dish, Nikolas served to us with Greek yogurt. 

I also like it with pork or chicken, or even stirred into oatmeal.

Hosaf

1 teacup*dried prunes
1 teacup unsalted, roasted almonds or walnuts**
1 teacup dried apricots, chopped
1 teacup raisins
1 teacup dried figs, chopped
1 teacup dried pineapple, chopped
6 whole star anise or 2 sticks cinnamon
2-3 teacups sugar

Place all of the ingredients, except for the sugar and spices, in a large bowl and cover with water and leave to soak 3-4 hours or overnight.

Pour the fruit and water into a large pan and add the star anise or the cinnamon sticks.  Bring the water to a bowl.  Add the sugar and continue to boil over high heat until the syrup thickens.  This does take awhile.  Stirring often so that the sugar does not burn.

Place the compote into a container and refrigerate.  Serve with yogurt, over pork, or in oatmeal.

*This is how Ketty has the recipe written.  I did use a teacup, because I have several.  However, I think what is important is that you keep the measurements equal.  So if you want to use a 1 cup measuring cup, great!  Or if you want a smaller amount, use a 1/2 cup measuring cup. 

**I used walnuts, as it's what I had on hand.  Whichever nut you use, I would suggest chopping them slightly.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial