Skip to main content

Southwest Gravy over Green Chili Cornbread

I really should have planned better!

I made a menu and went to the store.

I planned for some new recipes.

Recipes from cookbooks that I bought while we were on our Summer vacation last year in Europe.

Exciting recipes!

Recipes that weren't cooked in the crockpot.

 . . . and there's the dilemma!

I worked all week!

I put everything in the freezer and revamped our weekly menu!

One night, I created this dinner sensation! 

It's a keeper in our family . . . maybe your family will like it too!

Southwest Gravy over Cornbread

1 1/2 pounds ground beef
1 can tomatoes with chilies
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can cheddar cheese soup
1 tsp. chili powder
cornbread mix
necessary ingredients for your cornbread mix
green chilies

Prepare your cornbread according to the package directions.  Add the desired amount of green chilies to the batter.  Place in the oven and cook according to directions while you cook the meat mixture.

Over medium high heat, cook the ground beef until it is no longer pink.  Drain off the fat.

To the meat, add the can of tomatoes with green chilies, drained black beans, and cheddar cheese soup.  Heat the meat mixture thoroughly.  Add water if you need to thin your mixture a bit.

Slice the cornbread and place in a bowl.  Ladle the gravy mixture over the cornbread.  Top with jalapenos and chopped onions if desired.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial