Skip to main content

Pecan Pralines



The Mr. and I were in Charleston a few weeks ago.

He went for a meeting . . .

I went to relax.

It isn't often that the two of us get away without the cherubs.

We took advantage of returning to a city that we love!

When we were first married, we lived in Columbia, SC.

Charleston was a little over an hour away and we were young, childless, and spunky!

We would get in the car with our dear friends, Clay and Amy, and we'd spend the day in Charleston.

Much hasn't changed in 20 years in the city of Charleston:

The market is still the place to shop,

the restaurants are still amazing,

and the time walking the battery and enjoying the beautiful surrounds is still relaxing.

We always loved getting pralines when we were in Charleston.

There's something about that buttery, brown sugary, pecan treat that is purely the best!

While we were on this trip, we walked by the store front every day that offered a free sample!

If they were giving,

we were getting!

We didn't buy any pralines until our last day so that we could bring a treat home for the cherubs!

Today, being Fat Tuesday, we are celebrating New Orlean's style!

For dessert, I decided to make pecan pralines.

I found this recipe on about.com.  Of all the recipes I looked at, this seemed to be most like the pralines that we like to eat. 

We prefer the soft, almost crumbly. pecan pralines versus the soft-chewy caramel type.

I did three things:
  1. I didn't use a candy thermometer . . .I don't have one.  I used the "water test" to know if my candy mixture was ready.
  2. I didn't toast the pecans.  I didn't think it would make that much of a difference.
  3. I halved the recipe.  I ended up with 8 pralines, which is plenty for my family!  The recipe I'm posting is not halved, but it's easily to do so!

Pecan Pralines

1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated milk
4 tbsp butter, cubed
2 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups toasted pecans, coarsely chopped
Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with aluminum foil and spraying the foil with nonstick cooking spray.

In a medium saucepan combine the brown sugar, granulated sugar, and evaporated milk over medium heat. Stir until the sugar dissolves, then insert a candy thermometer.

Cook the candy, stirring occasionally, until the candy reaches 240 degrees on the thermometer.

Once the proper temperature is reached, remove the pan from the heat and drop the chunks of butter on top, but do not stir. Allow the pan to sit for one minute.

After a minute, add the vanilla extract and the pecans, and begin to stir smoothly and constantly with a wooden spoon. Soon the candy will begin to get thicker and lighter in color.

Continue to stir until the candy starts to hold its shape. It should still be easy to stir, however. It is important not to stir too much, as pralines quickly go from fluid to rock-solid. Once it is a lighter, opaque brown and holds its shape, quickly begin to drop small spoonfuls of the candy onto the prepared baking sheet.

Work quickly to form the candies, as the pralines will start to set in the saucepan. If the candy stiffens before you’re done scooping, add a spoonful of very hot water and stir until it loosens, then continue scooping until you have formed all the pralines.

Allow the candy to fully set at room temperature, for about 30 minutes. Store New Orleans Pralines in an airtight container at room temperature.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi