Skip to main content

Ranch Roasted Potatoes




I can't even remember what I was fixing but I needed a side dish to serve with it.

Oh wait!  Just typing that sentence made me remember what I was making!

Ham!

Which reminded me . . .

I'm going to post my ham recipe!

But not right now.

Right now, it is about the potatoes.

Since I was making a ham, I wanted to have a complete meal.

You know, not the one-dish-call-it-good meal.

But a meal that resembled thought,

and preparation,

and time,

and love,

and all those things!

I had some potatoes in the refrigerator.

I keep my potatoes there because I don't use them fast enough to keep them in a cute potato basket.

Because if I kept them in a cute potato basket, my potatoes would be gross.

And unusable.

So I keep them cold so they won't get gross so fast.

Now, before you start thinking about all the bad things that happen to cold potatoes.

I know.

The starch changes to sugar.

They don't taste the same as if you store them "naturally."

They have a different texture if they've been stored in the refrigerator.

Yes -- you are right.

But I'm neither a potato farmer, or a potato connoisseur,

so I don't mind the subtle difference that I can't even really detect.

I took my cold potatoes and made this recipe.

My premise:  an old recipe for oyster crackers.

If it's good enough for crackers, then it's got to be good enough for potatoes!

Ranch Roasted Potatoes

2 lbs. of your favorite potato, cleaned and cut into potato cubes*
1 pkg. dry ranch seasoning mix
2 TBSP oil
11/2 tsp dried dill
1tsp. lemon pepper
1/8-1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper, optional
1 tsp. course ground pepper
1/2 tsp. salt

With cleaned and cubed potatoes in a mixing bowl, sprinkle all of the dry ingredients over the potatoes.  Pour the 2 TBSP of oil over the potatoes and stir to coat evenly, mixing the potatoes, oil, and seasonings together well.

Crockpot Method:

Spray the crock liner with pam and place the seasoned potatoes into the crock pot.  Cook on low for 4 hours or high for 2.  Check for desired doneness half-way through the cooking time.  Make adjustments as necessary for your size crock pot, the size of potato cubes, and the amount of potatoes being cooked. (Perhaps you are like me and you made this and doubled the recipe for a  larger group).

Baked Method:

Preheat the over to 400 degrees.  Line a cookie sheet with foil and spray with pam, or line the cookie sheet with a silpat liner.  Place the seasoned potatoes on the lined cookie sheet.  Place in the oven and roast for 30-45 minutes.  Check for desired doneness.  Stir the potatoes occasionally to allow for even cooking and browning.

*I used russet potatoes, as it is what I had in the refrigerator.  Yukon gold, red potatoes, or fingerlings would be great to use.  2 lbs. of potatoes easily serves 4-6 people.  Of course, it all depends on serving size.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial