Skip to main content

Tuna Burgers Receive an 8.5 Star Rating!

Oh, come on now -- are you acting like my children?  Did you read the title and wrinkle up your nose and mentally think "Gag!"  I will be honest with you!  I feel like I'm working under-cover this afternoon as I prepare dinner BEFORE the kids get home!  There's no way I want them to see the tuna can!  And I've been thinking about what I can even call "it!"  I want them to try it before they decide to gag! 
I will tell you, it has smelled very good while I've been doing Operation Covert Cooking!  As I put the ingredients together, it reminds me of a crab cake; which, by the way, I enjoy!  The ingredients are simple, it throws together in a snap (I know, because I'm working covertly), and it's healthy!  Oh, great!  Those of you who have stuck with me through the tuna have just rolled your eyes and figured "how good can THAT be?"

This recipe comes from Taste of Home magazine, the Nov./Dec. issue.  By the way, I got a pretend subscription to the magazine for Christmas from my husband.  I say "pretend" because he didn't actually give me a subscription, he bought the current magazine and wrapped it up with a note that says "for a 2 year subscription" which I means that I will have to do the ordering . . . which kind of takes away the "gift" part and since it's a cheap gift it's really more of a stocking stuffer. 

But back to the Tuna Veggie Burger!  Be opened minded; try something new!

Veggie Tuna Burgers Recipe
Picture from Taste of Home Magazine
(In case you thought I was responsible!)

 Tuna Veggie Burger

1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup each shredded zucchini, yellow summer squash and carrots
1 egg, lightly beaten
2 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
1 can (6 ounces) light water-packed tuna, drained and flaked
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon butter
6 hamburger buns, split
6 slices reduced-fat cheddar cheese
6 lettuce leaves
6 slices tomato

In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion and garlic for 1 minute. Add the zucchini, yellow squash and carrots; saute until tender. Drain and cool to room temperature.

In a large bowl, combine the egg, bread crumbs, tuna, salt and pepper. Add vegetable mixture. Shape into six 3-1/2-in. patties.

Coat the same skillet again with cooking spray; cook patties in butter for 3-5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Serve on buns with cheese, lettuce and tomato. Yield: 6 servings
 
** I used 1 nice sized yellow squash and zucchini and 3 carrots.  I didn't fine chop my onion; I don't prefer "fine chopped" usually.  I used a 12 oz can of white tuna, packed in water.  As with a crab cake, I prefer a little more meat and a little less cake!  I also used plain bread crumbs --just the kind from the pantry. 
 
Always remember -- a recipe is a guide; don't stress out if you don't have exactly what is called for!  You're a smart girl -- trust your instincts and substitute!

OK -- so we've made it through dinner and it was a H.I.T!  We have a rating system whenever we try a new recipe and this one received an 8.5!  That's remarkable!  Jackson is even taking this leftover for lunch tomorrow . . .to school!  That's a 10 rating within itself!  And for the record, I preferred not to eat mine on a bun --- I felt it was too much bread.  Greg had his burger on a thinwich; which he said was perfect.  Finally, I wasn't sure to smear mustard, mayo., or ketchup on this new dish so I opted to make a remoulade sauce.  The recipe follows:

Remoulade Sauce

1/4 cup mayo
1 TBSP spicy mustard
dash of hot sauce
dash of worcestershire sauce
smidge of horseradish sauce (optional)

Stir together and refrigerate until ready to use.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi