Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Simple Ice Cream



Braum's.

My favorite ice cream store.

Has been since I was big enough to stand up in the front seat, between my parents.

Yep, you read that right.

That used to be legal!

I could spot this sign from a mile away:



My mom and dad even got to the point where they wouldn't say the word anymore . . .they'd spell it!   . . .As if!!

"Do you want to stop at 'B.R.A.U.M'S?" they'd say.

"I do!"  I'd say!

Then, I got where I'd say, "Let's go to B.R.A.U.M'S!" 

I was a smart kid!

Now that I'm older . . .and wearing a seatbelt, I like Braum's for:
  1. ice cream
  2. milk
  3. sausage
  4. egg nog
  5. sour cream
  6. bananas
  7. chocolate milk
  8. buttermilk
  9. bread
  10. jalapeno dip
There's probably more reasons why I like Braum's -- but I think 10's a good number.  I'm stopping there for now!

So, why do I write this?

Tonight I made a homemade strawberry sauce, and a mixed berry sauce, and homemade ice cream . . . which made me think of Braum's, which made me think of how much I love ice cream, which made me remember that I've always loved ice cream, which made me think of the funny story about B.R.A.U.M'S!

If you can't get to a Braum's -- first, I feel sorry for you!  You need to go find one!  But if that's not possible, the make this yummy ice cream at home!

Ok, I already know -- there are raw eggs in the recipe. 

I know!

I started as a young kid, introducing small amounts of raw egg into my diet, through things like raw cookie dough, cake batter, and delicious ice cream.  I've built up a tolerance toward any dangers of raw eggs!  But!  If you're a little more careful about your ingestion of e coli, use the pasteurized egg substitute in the recipe.  I don't know how that stuff works, but if you know the name brand, and you're screaming it right now -- hoping I'll hear, I trust that you'll know exactly how to use it in this recipe!



This is our delicious ice cream churning--
it's a beautiful sight!

Basic Ice Cream

2 eggs, beaten
1 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 pint heavy whipping cream
milk

Place all of the ingredients in a large pyrex measuring bowl.  Add enough (Braum's)  milk to make 4 cups total.
Pour the ingredients into your small ice cream freezer.


If you have the large "old fashioned" freezer -- you know the one; it makes a whole gallon of delicious frozen concoction, double this recipe and enjoy it a day longer!

Freeze according to ice cream maker's directions.

Allow treat to "ripen" and enjoy a big bowl!




**This recipe is adapted from a friend's recipe-- they double the recipe, add 4 mashed bananas, 1 cup chopped nuts, 1 container of thawed frozen strawberries (in the syrup/juice), and additional milk.  It makes a full gallon.

No comments:

Post a Comment