Skip to main content

BBQ Pot Pie with Cheese Grits Crust

BBQ Pot Pie is hard to photograph!
I'm trying to show you the thick layer of cheese grits, piled high
on the saucy meat mixture!
Is it working?

I don't know about you, but when I cook a brisket for my family, it seems like we eat it forever! 

I'm good about freezing the leftovers -- but I think it multiplies when it's all bundled up in that ziplock bag in the freezer!

We like brisket, don't get me wrong -- but sometimes it's nice to have a change of pace, even with bbq!

I first tried this recipe in 2003 and we really liked it!

I don't make it much, because truthfully, I forget about it.

But this week, I remembered and I made it and we like it . . . again!

My girl cherub, who said she didn't like cheese grits was the first to ask for it in her lunch for the next day!

Speaking of lunch.  Let me tell you a funny story.

My cherubs usually take leftovers in their lunch a good majority of the time.

I don't know why.

Oh, yes I do.

I'm not a huge fan of leftovers, so if I can pawn them off on the cherubs, in the name of being a "good mom," that just means I don't have to eat them again, and again, and again.

But the other reason, and a very valid one is this:  Can you imagine taking a sandwich for 180 days a year for 12 years?  That's over 2,000 sandwiches!

Me either.

So I think variety in the lunch box is good.

My boy cherub was eating lunch the other day and it happened to be just plain bbq brisket.  I don't remember what else I dumped in his box, but the brisket is what caught the eye of another boy at the table.  Here's the conversation:
  • "Hey, whatta ya eating?"
  • "Brisket."
  • "I wanna know, why can't you just eat crap like the rest of us!"
That totally cracked my cherub up!  He came home and told me and said,
"Mom, I didn't think it was right for me to tell him this is all we had left at the house and that my mom needed to go to the store really bad!"

What does that story have to do with this recipe?  Nothing, really! 

Here's the recipe:

BBQ Pot Pie with Cheese Grits Crust

1 large sweet onion, diced
1 TBSP vegetable oil
1 1/2 cups thick barbecue sauce
1 pound shredded barbecued meat*

Sauté onion in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat 5 minutes or until golden brown.  Gradually stir in barbecue sauce; cook, stirring constantly, 3 minutes or until mixture is hot.
Stir in meat, and bring to a boil. Remove from heat, and spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.

Spoon Cheese Grits Crust Batter evenly over hot barbecue mixture.
Bake at 425° for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown and set.

*I use leftover brisket, but you could use pork, if desired.


2 cups water
2 cups milk
1 cup quick-cooking grits
2 cups (8 ounces) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon seasoned pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Bring water and milk to boil in a large saucepan; add grits, and cook, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese, salt, and pepper; remove from heat.

Stir about one-fourth of grits mixture gradually into beaten eggs; add to remaining grits mixture, stirring constantly.

Spoon hot grits mixture evenly over hot Barbecue Pot Pie mixture. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes.

Taken from:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi