Skip to main content

Peanut Brittle!


A long time ago, there was a lady who made peanut brittle.

It was her "Seasonal Job!"

Once her kids were out of school and she had done it as long as she wanted,
she made her last box of peanut brittle and handed the wooden spoon to me!

Now it's my "seasonal job!"  I've already been perched at my stove this week, stirring and smelling and waiting for the hot syrup to "spin a thread." 

Once it does . . . .


we end up with a table full of thin, golden brittle that has just the right amount of peanuts!


 Box and after box line our kitchen table, ready to be delivered!  The cherubs used to help me get the boxes ready for the brittle.
It's amazing, though, this year they're both so busy with school??!!?! 
However, neither one of them seem to be busy when it's time for a "quality control check!"


Look at that super-yummy, incredibly thin and perfect piece of brittle!

If you're in my area, it's not to late to order peanut brittle!  To order, you can reply to the comment section (or e-mail or call if you have my info!).  I'll be stirring the brittle pot until I run out of peanuts!

If you're up for making your own brittle, here's the recipe.

Peanut Brittle

2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1 cup light corn syrup
2 cups raw spanish peanuts
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1 TBSP butter
additional butter

In a large, heavy sauce pan, place the sugar, water, and corn syrup over medium heat.  Cook until the mixture "spins a thread."  Anything less than this stage give you a very sticky candy. 

Stir in the peanuts and cook until the mixture has a deep caramel color.  Stir continually so that the mixture doesn't burn.  If you are not careful, you will end up with "burnt sugar" with peanuts which has a very bitter taste.

Remove from heat and add the butter and vanilla and stir quickly until the butter is completely melted.

Quickly stir in the baking soda until well incorporated.  Allow the mixture to rise in the pan.

Pour the hot mixture onto a large, well buttered board.  As the mixture cools, pull the edges.  If you pull too soon, it won't work.  If you don't pull soon enough, you'll end up with a thick brittle.  This part of the recipe is a "knack" thing! 

Allow to cool completely before storing.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi