Skip to main content

Berries with Cream Sauce



My cherubs are on minimester this week.

Minimester is a ministry or education opportunity that students participate in during the week before Spring Break.

This year, my boy Cherub went with his class to Washington, D.C.  It was both an education and a ministry trip.

My girl Cherub went with her class for an outdoor science camp. 

I went as a chaperon to the science camp.

It was fun.

But for 2 days I've been in the blowing wind, learning about all sorts of interesting "scienc-y" things and eating camp food.

To their credit, this camp did offer lots of options in the camp food experience and there was always a salad bar.

But after 3 days, I was ready for some variety.

And I was ready for something from my kitchen.

Me and my sweet girl cherub decided we wanted kabobs!

Off to the store we went when we got back from camp and we bought all sorts of veggies and some chicken and beef so that we could make grilled kabobs!

We also picked up a variety of berries:
  • raspberries
  • blackberries
  • blueberries
  • strawberries
My girl Cherub wanted to make fruit kabobs too!

But I kind of decided against that and wanted to make a pretty fruit dessert with a cream sauce.

I didn't have a cream sauce recipe..

So I googled a fruit cream recipe.

Here's what I settled on.  The only reason I decided to try this recipe was for no other reason than it is on the Ruth's Chris menu.

I've never been to Ruth's Chris.

The Mr. has.

But not me!

That's sad, don't you think?

But if I were to go to Ruth's Chris, I think I'd order this for dessert.

That's not true.

I would NOT order this, because now I can make it!

Not only can I make it, but I can make it for way cheaper than what I can order it for from Ruth's Chris!

So there!

I don't need to go anymore!

Berries with Cream Sauce

2 Cups Heavy Cream
3/4-1 cup of sugar
10 Large Egg Yolks**
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 baskets of Fresh berries washed

 
Heat cream and 1/4-1/2 cup of sugar in a small saucepan on medium-low. Heat the cream and sugar through.  Bring to a strong simmer, but do not allow to boil.

In a medium glass bowl, whisk egg yolks with 1/2 cup of sugar until sugar is well blended and dissolved.

In a medium saucepan, fill about half full with water and bring to a boil.  While water is coming to a boil, slowly incorporate cream mixture to egg mixture. Add about 1/4 cup of cream at a time to the egg mixture and whisk thoroughly. Add another 1/4 cup of the cream mixture to the egg mixture and whisk again. Then add the remainder of the cream mixture to the egg mixture and whisk again.  Add your hot cream very slowly and a bit at a time so you do not scramble the eggs.

Put the glass boil over the boiling water to create a double boiler (or use a double boiler).

Slowly cook the sauce for 10-12 minutes, stirring constantly. The sauce will thicken and coat the back of a spoon.

Once thickened to the consistency that you like (such as a pourable pudding) you can pass it through a fine mesh sieve into the container you will use to store the sauce. I did not strain the sauce.  I didn't feel like I needed to.  However, if you step away and do not stir constantly, then you might want to do this because your sauce may have cooked a bit faster than you realized, leaving it a bit lumpy.

Make a ice bath by putting ice in a large bowl and putting a smaller bowl on top of the ice so that the ice is around the smaller bowl.  Pour the sauce into the smaller bowl and begin to gently fold the sauce to cool it as you slowly spin the smaller bowl.  The sauce will thicken a bit as it cools.

If you are going to refrigerate overnight, put saran directly on the top of the sauce to avoid a “skin” developing. If you are going to serve quickly, you do not need to saran wrap it

Once cooled, store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.

Put some berries at the bottom of a bowl or a pretty glass or even jelly jars then generously drizzle the cream sauce over the berries.

**Save the egg whites.  Once you finish making this sauce, go ahead and separate 2 more eggs and you'll have 1 dozen egg whites.  Now you can make a homemade angel food cake!  Maybe I'll post a recipe for that next!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial