Skip to main content

Vanilla Cupcakes

Cupcakes were devoure before a picture could be taken!

I was out of town with my mom as she had knee replacement surgery.

I came home to finish getting ready for her arrival at my house.

She's recouping with my family.

On my drive home, my family said, "We'll just go out when you get here.  It'll be easier."

I didn't want to go out.

I had been eating "out" since Tuesday  and I was kind of tired of it.

When I got close to home I called to see if I could meet them someplace; it was already late and I didn't want to waste much time.

My oldest cherub said, "No, just come on home."

Bummer!

I'm tired; I'm ready for bed; and I don't really want to go out to eat.

As soon as I pulled into the garage, I knew I had been tricked!  I could smell the grill!

They had cooked!

Yeah, them!!!

Grilled salmon, roasted brussel sprouts, and dessert.

My cherubs had  made homemade cupcakes.

My sweet girl cherub went to the internet, googled a recipe and set off to bake.

She's made her momma proud!

My boy cherub had the idea of filling them with a thick strawberry mixture.

It was a delicious combination!

Vanilla Cupcakes with Vanilla Icing

1/2 cup softened butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
2/3 cup milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Cream butter and sugar.  Add the eggs, 1 at a time; beating well after each addition.  Stir in vanilla. 

In a separate bowl, stir together the dry ingredients.  Add to the butter mixture, alternating with the milk; ending with the last addition being the liquid.

Prepare muffin tins with liners.  Fill evenly (we use a cookie scoop).

Bake 18-24 minutes, or until done without over-baking.

Yields 12 cupcakes.

Vanilla Frosting

3 TBSP flour
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar (not powdered -- but granulated sugar)
1 tsp. vanilla

Whisk together the flour and the milk in a small sauce pan, over medium heat.  Whisk continuously until it starts to thicken.  Continue to stir until the mixture has the consistency of thick pudding. Pour into a bowl.  Place a piece of plastic wrap over the mixture to keep a skin from forming.  Put this mixture in the refrigerator and cool completely. 

With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until very light and fluffy; dissolving the sugar granules.  Take your time with this; you'll be glad you did because you'll end up with a smooth frosting!  Once creamed well, add the cooled milk mixture and the extra 1 tsp. of vanilla.  Beat until combined and stop to scrape the sides.  Continue beating until light and fluffy (about 7-8 minutes). 

Color the frosting, if desired and spread frosting on cooled cupcakes.

Enjoy!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial