Skip to main content

Lofthouse-ish Sugar Cookies




I admit it:  I like these junkie cookies! 

You know the ones; they're at the store and they have the bright frosting and colored sprinkles.

They're made by Lofthouse and they are available year round and they are always decorated with "holiday" colored frosting.

I don't know what it is about them that I like; I think it's how soft they are.

That's usually the problem with cookies:  they're too hard!

But these little gems are cakey and not dry and just yummy.

To me; they're yummy!

I hate that I like them!

This weekend, I have signed up to take cookies to a ballet event for my girl cherub.

Because it's been just a wee bit crazy around my house, I decided to try a new recipe.

Because that's what you do when your life feels like it's spinning faster than you can possibly control; you cook.

And you cook new recipes.

It's a weird sadistic trap I'm in!

There are several recipes out there for these Lofthouse-ish cookies.

I like this dough.  I will probably keep it around.

The only thing I didn't like is that the cookie didn't spread enough for my preference to make a "pretty canvas" for the bright frosting I'll be making.

Who cares; they taste good!

Lofthouse-ish Sugar Cookie

1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine sour cream, sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla; mix well.

Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until everything is just incorporated.

With a cookie scoop, scoop out even amount of dough and slightly flatten on the cookie sheet with your hand so it's in a circular shape. Bake more than 8-10 minutes. They may seem under done but they aren't.  They may just be golden around the edge; but not more than that!

Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.           


Buttercream Frosting

4 cups powdered sugar
1 TBSP vanilla
2 TBSP milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
frosting coloring
colored sprinkles

                                
     
Cream the butter and shortening in mixer, with paddle attachment on medium for about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time and beat until smooth, adding vanilla and milk as needed to create a smooth frosting.   Tint with coloring, if desired.  Mix the color in with the paddle attachment to distribute the color thoroughly. 
Spread with a spatula or pipe frosting onto cooled cookie and decorate with colored sprinkles.

**This frosting makes an ample amount so you do not have to be stingy with the colored goodness!
                        
                          
                                                                                           
                                     
                                                           
                                                           
                                                           

                                
                                                           
                                                          
                                        
 
                           

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial