Sunday, March 24, 2013

Lofthouse-ish Sugar Cookies




I admit it:  I like these junkie cookies! 

You know the ones; they're at the store and they have the bright frosting and colored sprinkles.

They're made by Lofthouse and they are available year round and they are always decorated with "holiday" colored frosting.

I don't know what it is about them that I like; I think it's how soft they are.

That's usually the problem with cookies:  they're too hard!

But these little gems are cakey and not dry and just yummy.

To me; they're yummy!

I hate that I like them!

This weekend, I have signed up to take cookies to a ballet event for my girl cherub.

Because it's been just a wee bit crazy around my house, I decided to try a new recipe.

Because that's what you do when your life feels like it's spinning faster than you can possibly control; you cook.

And you cook new recipes.

It's a weird sadistic trap I'm in!

There are several recipes out there for these Lofthouse-ish cookies.

I like this dough.  I will probably keep it around.

The only thing I didn't like is that the cookie didn't spread enough for my preference to make a "pretty canvas" for the bright frosting I'll be making.

Who cares; they taste good!

Lofthouse-ish Sugar Cookie

1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
3 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

In a large bowl combine sour cream, sugar, butter, eggs and vanilla; mix well.

Add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix until everything is just incorporated.

With a cookie scoop, scoop out even amount of dough and slightly flatten on the cookie sheet with your hand so it's in a circular shape. Bake more than 8-10 minutes. They may seem under done but they aren't.  They may just be golden around the edge; but not more than that!

Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely before frosting.           


Buttercream Frosting

4 cups powdered sugar
1 TBSP vanilla
2 TBSP milk
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup shortening
frosting coloring
colored sprinkles

                                
     
Cream the butter and shortening in mixer, with paddle attachment on medium for about 2 minutes. Add powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time and beat until smooth, adding vanilla and milk as needed to create a smooth frosting.   Tint with coloring, if desired.  Mix the color in with the paddle attachment to distribute the color thoroughly. 
Spread with a spatula or pipe frosting onto cooled cookie and decorate with colored sprinkles.

**This frosting makes an ample amount so you do not have to be stingy with the colored goodness!
                        
                          
                                                                                           
                                     
                                                           
                                                           
                                                           

                                
                                                           
                                                          
                                        
 
                           

No comments:

Post a Comment