Skip to main content

Crustless Apple Pie



I'm tired of unpacking.

I'm tired of heat.

 I'm dreaming of Fall.

I drive down the street and there are beautiful pumpkins at the garden centers.

Gorgeous pots of mums line the drives.

I'm beginning to think about Fall food . . .

And I have the air conditioner on!

Something is wrong with this picture!

I want to wake up and throw the windows open and have a long sleeve shirt on.

I want the days to warm to the perfect temperature.

And I want to be able to sit with the family around the uncluttered table to a great bounty of fall food.

But that's not happening right now.

As I'm dreadfully unpacking yet another box,

I had the idea of a "crustless apple pie."

One reason for this is I have no time to make a pie right now.

Another reason for this thinking is back to line #4 -- I'm dreaming of fall food.

Apple pie is Fall!

The third reason for this idea is being gluten free; I haven't attempted a gluten free pie crust.

Right now, I'm scared to try . . . there's not enough patience left in me right now to try something new!

But a crustless apple pie?

Yes!  I can do that!

When this is made, it's really just the warm, cinnamon-y, yummy filling of an apple pie.

Scooped into a dessert dish and topped with some delicious vanilla ice cream.

Fling open the back door and enjoy a sit on the patio as you devour your dessert . . .

 . . . and dream of the coming Fall!

Crustless Apple Pie

4 apples, cored and sliced.  Peel on?  Peel off?  You decide!
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon

1/8 tsp. salt
2 TSBP butter
2 1/2 TBSP water
1 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1 tsp. cold water
1/2 tsp. vanilla
2 tsp. boiled cider, optional*

In a sauce pan, over medium heat, place the apples, brown sugar, spices, butter and the water.  Cover and cook stirring occasionally for 4-6 minutes or until slightly softened.

While the apples are cooking, in a small dish combine cornstarch and water. Once the apples are to the slightly softened stage, remove the pan from the heat and add the cornstarch/water mixture.  Return the pan to the heat and bring to a gentle boil while stirring.  Continue to cook until apples are soft (not mushy) and filling is thickened. Let bubble 1 minute.

Remove from the heat and gently stir in the vanilla and the boiled cider, if you desire.

Allow the apple filling to cool a bit if you are going to enjoy it warm.

Otherwise, cool and store covered in the refrigerator until ready to use.

Possible uses:

Top waffles, french toast, or pancakes.
Put a dollop on warm oatmeal
"Apple Pie" sundae topping
Serve with pork loin or grilled chicken
Mix into your breakfast vanilla yogurt, topped with chopped pecans and dry oats

*This is boiled cider, from King Arthur.

 Image result for king arthur boiled cider


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi