Skip to main content

Banana Rum Cake with Buttered Rum Sauce



I love all of my cookbooks.

Some I love more than others.

Some I use more than others.

One that I use alot is by the Cake Mix Doctor.
What I like about the Cake Mix Doctor is she usually starts with a cake mix and goes up from there.

There's a long story as to why I made this cake last week.

But a hint as to why I made it:  The Mr. forgot to tell me that I needed to send some "treats" to work with him the next day.

Oh yeah.
Not just "treats" -- but his secretary was leaving and this was the staff good-bye.
Oh yes.
In a scramble, I looked through this great cake cookbook and decided to give this recipe a try.
The cherubs were so glad I did -- it's delicious!

Banana Buttered Rum Cake

3 medium-size ripe bananas, or 2 large ripe bananas
1 package (18.5 ounces) plain butter recipe golden cake mix
1 package (3.4 ounces) vanilla instant pudding mix
½ cup light or dark rum
½ cup water
¼ cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 large eggs

FOR THE GLAZE

8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
¼ cup light or dark rum
¼ cup water

Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Lightly mist a 12-cup Bundt pan with vegetable oil spray, then dust it with flour. Shake out the excess flour.

Peel bananas and place them in a large mixing bowl. Beat bananas with an electric mixer on low speed until mashed. Add cake mix, pudding mix, ½ cup of rum, ½ cup of water, and the oil, vanilla and eggs to the bananas. Beat on low speed until ingredients are combined, 1 minute. Stop. Scrape down the side of the bowl with a rubber spatula. Increase the mixer speed to medium and beat for 2 minutes longer, scraping down the side of the bowl again if needed. The batter should look thick and well combined.

Pour the batter in the prepared Bundt pan, smoothing the top with the rubber spatula.

Bake the cake until it is just starting to pull away from the sides of the pan and the top springs back when lightly pressed with a finger, 50 to 55 minutes. Transfer the Bundt pan to a wire rack and let cake cool for 10 to 15 minutes.

Make the glaze:

Melt the butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the brown sugar, rum and water. Stir constantly over medium heat until the mixture boils, 3 to 4 minutes. Let glaze boil and continue stirring until it thickens, about 3 minutes longer.

Remove saucepan from the heat and set the glaze aside to cool 10 minutes.

Run a long, sharp knife around the edges of the cake, shake pan gently, and invert the cake onto a wire rack. Let the cake cool 10 minutes longer, then place it on a cake plate with raised sides.

Using a long wooden skewer, poke 12 to 16 holes in the top of the cake and slowly spoon the warm glaze over warm cake. Keep spooning until most of the glaze is absorbed (see note below). Let the cake cool to room temperature, 15 to 20 minutes, then slice it and serve.
Note: This makes a generous amount of glaze, and the glaze contributes to the moist and flavorful cake. But if you like, spoon only half of the glaze over the cake and save the other half to reheat gently and spoon over the cake slices when serving them with ice cream.
Store: Wrapped in foil or plastic wrap or placed in a cake saver, store at room temperature for up to 5 days. Freeze, wrapped in foil, for up to 6 months. Let the cake thaw overnight on the counter before serving.

Comments

  1. I received an e-mail asking, "if I don't like bananas, what can I do to still make this cake?"

    My reply: omit the bananas and add 1/4 to 1/3 cup sour cream or applesauce. This will create, I think, a similar texture cake as one with bananas.

    Also, I suggested using any of the following brands/flavors of cake mixes: BETTY CROCKER butter pecan or golden vanilla, or PILLSBURY pineapple, or DUNCAN HINES apple/caramel mix, caramel cake, coconut cake, pineapple or orange mix.

    I have not tried any of these recommendations; but give it a whirl. You might find a new favorite!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial