Skip to main content

Deep Dish Apple Pie


My friend, Miss Gladys, sent this recipe to me at the request of the Mr.

Actually, the Mr. said, "Oh, send that to Karen, she'd want that recipe!"

Translated, "Oh, send that recipe to Karen, I want her to make it for me!"

I must admit, while the Mr. and two cherubs just love applie pie, I'm not an apple pie lover.  But this recipe sounded delish.

So I grabbed my cast iron skillet and the ingredients and had it whipped up in no time.

And guess what!

It is fabulous!  It should be . . . it's a Southern Living recipe!

We ate our skillet apple pie with cinnamon ice cream!

Easy Skillet Apple Pie

2 pounds Granny Smith apples -- cored*
2 pounds Braeburn apples -- cored*
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt -- optional
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla -- optional
1/2 cup butter -- melt in skillet
1 cup light brown sugar -- packed
1 cup pecans -- or walnuts, whole or chopped, optional
1 14.1 oz package refrigerated pie crust -- place on counter to come to room temp
1 egg white -- whisked until foamy
2 tablespoons granulated sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Core apples and slice into 1/2 inch-thick slices or wedges. I cut apples into fourths, cored and then made slices rather than wedges. Peel, if desired (and I desired!)

**I used 3pounds of apples and used only Granny Smith apples because that's my preference.

Toss the apples with the vanilla, cinnamon and 3/4 cup granulated sugar in a large bowl. Set aside.

Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium heat. Add the brown sugar and cook, stirring constantly. As it melts add the optional nuts. This should all take 2-3 minutes until the sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat.  (These are the directions from Southern Living -- but just to clarify:  this mixture doesn't "melt" -- if you cook it until it "melts" you are going to have caramel!  So you need to watch it, stirring constantly, until it begins to slow simmer.  But remember, you're not making caramel!)
Place 1 piecrust in the skillet over the butter/sugar mixture. Spoon the apple mixture over the piecrust.

Place the other crust on top of the apples. Brush the crust with the egg white and sprinkle with the 2 tablespoons of sugar.  (I skipped the egg wash and sprinkling of sugar on top of the crust . . . it didn't change the taste one bit!)

Cut 4 to 5 slits in the crust to vent the steam.

Place skillet on a foil lined baking sheet and place in the oven.  Bake at 350 for about 1 hour to 1 hour & 10 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly. Shield with aluminum foil during last 10 minutes to prevent excessive browning, if necessary.

Cool on a wire rack 30 minutes before serving, if you can wait that long. 

*The pie will have a brown sugar "crust" on the bottom, topped with the pie crusts and apples.  So when you serve this, remember to scoop out all the goodies from the pan!

Cinnamon Ice Cream

Your favorite brand of vanilla ice cream (that'd be Braum's for me!)
Cinnamon
Chopped pecans, optional

Place desired amound of ice cream into a freezer safe large bowl.  I used about 2 quarts of ice cream.  Allow the ice cream to soften a bit. 

Stir in cinnamon, 1 tsp. at a time, until you reach your desired "cinnamon taste."  I used about 2 tsp. of cinnamon.  Stir the cinnamon and ice cream together until well mixed.

If you want to add chopped nuts, do so.  The amount depends on your preference.

Place ice cream back into the freezer until ready to serve.  It does need to set up a bit before scooping a delicious mound onto your pie!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Chicken and Artichoke Casserole

Picture from Cooking with Paula Deen ( . . .and aren't those cute dishes!) We first had this delicious casserole on Mother's Day while feasting at "Dining on Persimmon Hill," which is a restaurant at the National Cowboy and Western Heritage Museum in Oklahoma City, OK.  Side note --- if you have the chance to visit the Museum, please take advantage of the opportunity.  It is a wonderful experience!  And don't forget to eat at the museum restaurant.  It's delish! So back to the casserole.  After eating it we knew we had to find out the recipe!  The owner of the restaurant graciously shared her secret!  It's a Paula Deen; which means it's full of fat AND yummy flavor! This casserole is a hit with my cherubs and the Mr.  Also, whenever I make it for friends, they always want the recipe . . . maybe they're just being nice, I'm not sure!  When you look at the recipe, you might think it's a pain, but really, it is so easy!  Especial