Thursday, September 1, 2011

Grilled Chicken Pasta with Asparagus and Lemon Sauce



No picture of the final project!

This was a, "Let's see!  We need dinner."

As in, tonight!

My cherubs prefer it when I feed them on a regular schedule.

It keeps them happy

and me happy too!

Here's what I had in the refrigerator:
chopped onions
asparagus
cherub tomatoes
grilled chicken that I had cubed up
Here's what I had in the pantry:

pasta

Here's what I ended up with:

Grilled Chicken Pasta with Asparagus and Lemon Cream Sauce

1 tablespoon butter
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup chicken broth
1 teaspoon cornstarch
3 oz cream cheese, cubed
2-4 tablespoons lemon juice (2 is light, 4 is bright!) 
1/3 cup heavy cream (or evaporated milk)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Pasta
olive oil
grilled chicken
asparagus
chopped onion
(notice, I didn't use tomatoes!  I just kept them in the refrig!)

Boil pasta according to package directions.
In a large pan, saute onions in olive oil, until desired tenderness. 
I caramelized my onions because I wanted the sweetness with the pasta.
Clean asparagus and cut into large bite-sized pieces.
When the onions have cooked to your preference,
add the asparagus in and do a quick-stir cook, 3-4 minutes.
Toss in the cooked chicken and heat thoroughly.

For the Sauce

To the 1 cup of broth,
add 1 tsp. of cornstarch

Pour the broth/cornstarch mixture, lemon juice, butter and cream cheese into the pan
Stir until melted.
Slowly pour in the cream
Stir until well incorporated and is at a very low simmer.
Do not boil.

Toss in well-drained pasta

Toss to coat and serve while hot.

Please notice, there are no amounts on the pasta, chicken, asparagus or onions.
Use what you like!
I had a bit of chicken, a large bundle of asparagus, and 1/2 of an onion.
I used 1/2 a box of pasta.

It worked for us.

The boy cherub said it was "too much lemon but it's delish"
and the Mr. said it was "just right on the lemon."

I used 4 TBSP lemon juice.
I also used low fat cream cheese.


1 comment:

  1. Didn't know I had a friend who was a chef. Do you give lessons?

    ReplyDelete