Monday, June 11, 2012

Pimento Cheese Spread

A mark of maturity is if you eat pimento cheese spread.

OK, I'm kind of kidding there -- but not really.

Think back to the last picnic you went to  . . . .

there were 2 or 3 choices of sandwiches that someone made;

and took the time to cut into cute triangles.

One of those choices was pimento cheese . . .probably on white bread.  Because that's how you're supposed to eat pimento cheese sandwiches.

And who was eating those sandwiches?

I bet you didn't see little grimmy hands reaching onto the plate to grab a sandwich that was stuffed with orange-colored filling.

It was the grown-ups who were snacking on those!

As a kid, I remember my parents would eat pimento cheese sandwiches.

I would not.

But then, one day, when I was grown, a friend served homemade pimento cheese.

It was fantastic.

I really only prefer homemade pimento cheese spread.

If you're thinking, "I don't like pimento cheese!" 

Give this a try and see if you don't become a believer in the stuff.

It tastes very different than the stuff you find in the grocery store!

Pimento Cheese

1- 8oz block of cheddar cheese
1- 8oz block of sharp cheddar cheese
1/2-1 cup of real mayonnaise
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp. salt, optional
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 - small jar pimento, well drained

Grate both blocks of cheese. 

If you're really ambitious, you can grate one with a thicker grate and one with a finer grate.  But it really doesn't matter -- just grate!

Add the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper, if using, and the drained pimento.

Add the mayonnaise, 1/2 cup to begin, and stir well.  This does take a bit of time.  From this point on, it's a taste and see.  If you prefer a "wetter" pimento cheese, add a bit more mayonnaise.  If you prefer a "dryer" pimento cheese -- stop where you're at.  I had just enough mayonnaise to hold the cheese together.

Taste:  do you like it?  Do you need a bit more mayonnaise?

Refrigerate until ready to use.

2 comments:

  1. Funny comment! I'm wondering if you recall Pimento cream cheese on celery sticks? They don't seem to sell that at the grocery anymore but I loved snacking on it as a kid...any suggestions on a recipe for that?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard of Pimento Cream cheese. Was it just pimento cheese on celery? I remember that at picnics too! I think you could make "pimento cream cheese" -- by adding in some cream cheese to the mixture. Maybe 1/3-1/2 of the block? I'm not sure that I'd do a full 8 ounces. You might reduce the mayo to 1/3 of a cup when adding cream cheese. Clearly, I have no idea, I'm just making suggestions! Happy cooking! Let me know what you discover!

    ReplyDelete