Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Fruit Salsa and Cinnamon chips

Image from the Internet

Long and short of the story;  I'm teaching cooking classes to 10 year old girls this Summer.

I was going to enroll my cherub in a class for a week and then I realized:  "why do that, just do it yourself . . . and invite some of her friends."

So that's what I did!

It's a learning process and the moms have been fantastic to work with me to get it figured out!

One of the things I learned:  the Mr. didn't buy me a house with a big enough kitchen to hosts 9 girls cooking!

For yesterday's class I offered the same lessons, twice!  We made homemade flour tortillas, pico de gallo, fruit salsa, cinnamon chips, and quesadillas.

The girls did a GREAT job and their food tasted amazing!

The next several posts will the recipes for what I taught the girls!

Fruit Salsa

2 apples, cored and chopped
1 orange, peeled and chopped
1 pound strawberries, washed, hulled and chopped
4 kiwi, peeled and chopped
3 TBSP apple jelly
1 TBSP sugar
1 TBSP brown sugar

Place the apple jelly and sugars in a small bowl and heat in the microwave until jelly is heated and easily stirred.  Stir until the sugars are mixed in and dissolved.  Set aside.

Place chopped fruit in a large bowl.  Pour the jelly mixture over the fruit and toss to coat.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

**My cherubs loved this!  What I love about it is you can any fruit you adore:  blueberries, pineapple, or bananas.  I prefer the fruit to be chopped small, as you'll be scooping it with a cinnamon chip!  You want to be able to keep it on the chip!

Image from the internet

Cinnamon Chips

Prepakaged flour tortillas, cut into 1/8's
butter, melted OR butter flavored cooking spray
cinnamon/sugar mix (1 part cinnamon to 3 parts sugar)

Preheat oven to broil.

Place your cut tortillas on a foil lined baking pan.  Lightly coat the tortillas with butter or cooking spray.  Sprinkle with cinnamon/sugar.

Place under the broiler.  Cook until toasted and crispy  . . .being careful not to burn!

Allow to cool and serve with the fruit salsa.

No comments:

Post a Comment