Friday, January 6, 2012

Spanish Rice

Image from the internet
Not one of my favorite things to eat.

Not this recipe . . .but Spanish rice, in general.

I've never been a fan.

Until I made this.

This is what the Mr. grew up on, I'm guessing. 

You know, I've never asked him if he ate this as a kid,
but his mom is the one who gave me the recipe.

Maybe she just liked they way it sounded . . .

No, I'm sticking with the thought that it was a family favorite!

Again, like most things I make, it's easy!

You can serve it along side your Mexican food, or add ground beef to it and have a one-pot meal, if you're into those sorts of things!

Spanish Rice

1 cup uncooked rice (instant or long-cook*)
1/4 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 can stewed tomatoes, with the juice
1 tsp. salt
dash of pepper
1 cup water

Melt butter in a sauce pan, add the onion, green pepper and rice.  Stir over high heat until the rice is lightly browned.  Add the tomatoes, water, salt and pepper.  Mix well, bring to a boil, cover tightly and then lower the heat and simmer until tender. 

Serve hot.

*If you're using long-cook rice, you might have to add additional water as necessary to achieve desired tenderness of the rice.  I've used both kinds of rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment