Skip to main content

Bunnies, Carrots and a Butterfly Sugar Cookie

Easter is still a week away and I've finished the first of the decorated Easter sugar cookies!
Yeah, me!

Today's post has the remaining goodies.

Here's the deal -- I changed my type of icing for these! 

That's a big deal!

I normally use royal icing -- but this is a royal-ish type-ish of icing-ish!  I'm sure there's a real name for it, but I don't know it right now.  If I find out, I'll tell you.  For now I'm calling it cooking icing.

That's because it's past my bed-time and I'm not very creative when I'm tired!

This icing is quicker to mix up, takes color very well, and tastes much better!

For my first time, I'd go with an "ok" for experience.  I'm definitely willing to try again and to work on improving my ability with it!  I didn't do enough with it to "layer" the details which is so easy to do with royal icing -- by the point I got to these cookies, I was ready to slap some icing on these and call it good!




I realize there's no butterfly in the picture!  Oh well, it tasted good!

Cookie Icing Recipe

1 cup sifted powdered sugar
1 TBSP corn syrup
1 TBSP milk (or part milk and part flavoring)

Put in a bowl and using a whisk to mix well.  It will be thick.  This is an icing that you can outline AND flood!  That's perfect!

If it's too thick for your preference, add a bit more milk.  Go easy though - a little goes a long way!

Divided into bowls and add desired coloring.

If you would prefer a more detailed example, go to http://www.universityofcookie.com/ and search for "cookie icing tutorial"  and choose the entry that is for "An alternative to Royal Icing."

Happy cookie making!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Charleston's Style Potato Soup

Love Charleston's! Love everything I ever eat at Charleston's. Love the blackened fish sandwich, which isn't listed on the menu but you can still order it, with glazed carrots. Love the carrots! Love the chicken fingers;  the best there are!  I rarely order them -- because it's not a healthy choice, but oh boy!  They're delish! Love the honey glazed croissant. L.O.V.E! Love the pork chops with smashed potatoes and glazed carrots. Love the potato soup! Seriously adore it! It's thick. It's simple. It's delicious! We don't have a Charleston's where we live. Boo hoo! Here's a close replica of Charleston's baked potato soup.  I found it at www.tastebook.com   I made some adjustments to the recipe.  Not because I think I "know," but because I didn't have everything on hand nor can my sweet girl cherub have some of the ingredients.  I made it and didn't tell my family what it was su

Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup

 I've been to eat at Neiman Marcus one time. It was really good! "Everyone" talks about the Neiman Marcus cafe and the things they love from there. Because I've only been once, my variety of selection is limited! However, I have had lunch with friends that serve this Neiman Marcus soup recipe. It is so delicious that I wanted to pass it along to you! If your weather is like our weather, one day you're making soup and the next your grilling out! But because these are simple ingredients, you'll be able to throw it together in a moments notice! Neiman Marcus' Chicken Tortilla Soup 3-4 chicken breasts; cooked and shredded (or whole chicken;  cooked & shredded) olive oil 1 c onion, chopped 1 c bell pepper, chopped 1 c celery, chopped 1 c carrots, chopped 1/2 T minced garlic 2 t cumin 2 t coriander 1 t paprika 1 t red chili powder 1 T oregano 1/2 t cayenne (adjust to your taste) 1 28-oz can diced to

Creamy Poblano Chicken Dinner

Picture used from "My Recipes.com" My picture didn't look nearly as appetizing! We've been eating this since the late 90's. Oh man!  That sounds like we're really old! This is one of those fantastic Southern Living Recipes that looks really hard, sounds really gourmet-ish, and is so easy! Whenever the Mr. requests his birthday dinner, it's always this meal! He had his 43rd birthday yesterday! To go along with his new "older" age, we recently counted the number of doctors he has. Yes, doctors! Right now in life, it's not his social outlet to visit these physicians on a regular basis . .  .but none-the-less, he has a well-rounded network of doctors that can take care of any need of his, ranging from his head to his toes. What a treat it is to get older. But with getting older comes this meal! Serve this with a green salad and dessert and you'll be the hit of the party! Creamy Poblano Chi