Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Mint Syrup and other Delicious Things!

This past weekend my mom said she'd do a fruit salad with mint dressing. 

"Does that sound good to you?" she asked.

"Sure."

"It's a recipe I recently found -- it's easy.  Mint, sugar, and mayonnaise."

"Gross!"  I said.  "Maybe with sour cream, or something, but mayo? That's disgusting!  MAYO?"

"I can make something else.  Do you want me too?"

"No, we'll try it.  It sounds gross -- but whatever."



This is simple syrup in the making.




This is mint -- this is what makes the simple
syrup taste minty!



This is what makes the
dressing taste yummy!




And these delicious berries were the proud
recipients of a delicious mint dressing!


Mint Syrup (and Dressing)

1 cup of water
1 cup of sugar
1 cup of mint, cleaned and rough chopped
1 cup of mayonnaise

Bring water and sugar to boil in a sauce pan.  Stir until dissolved.  Boil for 4 minutes.  Remove from heat and drop in mint leaves.  Cover and steep for 20 minutes.  Strain leaves from syrup mixture and pour syrup into a container.  Refrigerate.

Now, this is where you can get creative!

Use this mint syrup to flavor your tea or lemonade . . .or any other use you can think of!  I can't think right now -- I'm typing!

To make the dressing

whisk in 1 cup of mayonnaise into the mint syrup.  Drizzle over your delicious fruit. 

I know I said "whisk" -- which is fine.  But we (my mom and I) determined that using an immersion blender was preferred.  We wanted a smooth dressing.

We (my mom and I again) decided that this makes a LOT of dressing -- and using a 1/2 cup of mint syrup and 1/2 cup of mayonnaise would be sufficient.

We (yep, the 2 of us again) also decided that once the fruit was dressed, it would be nice to have a small (and cute, I might add) bottle of dressing so that people can pour more yummy, minty deliciousness onto their fruit, if they wanted.


















No comments:

Post a Comment